Active retirement living since 1944
Our founder, Rev. F.W. Henry, had a longtime dream of starting a retirement home in Pennsylvania to provide compassionate, personal care to seniors in need. Henry finally realized his dream when he purchased the 27-room Bedford Estate for a reasonable price because the former owner wished that her Carlisle mansion might someday be used for this purpose.
Rev. Henry and his wife invested their life savings and received financial assistance from the New York Headquarters of The Christian and Missionary Alliance. A board of directors was formed, and the home was incorporated as a nonprofit company. It has been affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance ever since.
Chapel Pointe, then called The Alliance Home, was dedicated June 15, 1944. In the beginning, all hands on deck were needed to keep the home afloat. Each resident was asked to volunteer two hours a day, working in housekeeping, sewing, maintenance, and other areas. That same spirit of purposeful living still exists at Chapel Pointe.
Henry’s calling to provide a senior living ministry in Central Pennsylvania with a reputation for excellent service also continues today.
During the past seven decades, Chapel Pointe at Carlisle has grown to include the eight-acre Chapel Pointe campus, the 1.5-acre Pointe Place campus, and Chapel Pointe at Home, which provides services to the greater community. At Chapel Pointe, our family includes 200 residents, 180+ employees, dozens of volunteers, and thousands of friends and family members.
As we celebrate our 75th anniversary in 2019, we look toward the future and vow to continue to treat our Chapel Pointe family with respect, place people first, promote independence, encourage choices, and provide benevolent care to residents in need.