As you approach your retirement years, it’s well worth thinking about the future and considering different housing options that can cater to your changing needs and preferences. Senior independent living has gained popularity as a viable and attractive choice for retirees seeking an active and fulfilling, yet worry-free, lifestyle. Here’s what this option entails and some of the benefits that senior independent living facilities offer to retirees and their families.
Understanding Independent Living vs. Assisted Living
Some retirees—particularly Baby Boomers—equate all forms of senior residence programs with assisted living, then assume that senior communities aren’t for them. Yet there have been major changes to senior living options over the years, and there are distinct differences between the various levels of housing and services now offered.
Senior independent living refers to a housing option designed specifically for older adults who are self-reliant and do not require assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs). Assisted living (also called personal care in Pennsylvania), on the other hand, is designed for people who need some level of help with ADLs, such as bathing, dressing, and medication management. Related personal services can be tailored to precise individual needs.
Independent living, on the other hand, provides a community setting that can offer the best of all worlds: complete freedom with access to optional amenities and services designed to help you stay healthy, active, and happy. With independent living, you’ll have just as much liberty as you do in your own home (including keeping your own doctor and vehicle, for example).
In addition, independent senior living communities offer an active and social environment; you’ll never be cooped up or bored. You’ll also have opportunities to take classes, continue old hobbies and start new ones, and be involved in the greater off-campus community. In many ways, you may actually feel more empowered to make the most of your golden years than you do now!
Features and Benefits of Independent Living
Here are some of the major advantages that come with independent living in a senior residential community:
- Freedom and independence: One of the primary advantages of senior independent living is the freedom it provides. Residents can enjoy a private living space, typically in the form of apartments or cottages, while also having the opportunity to socialize and engage in a range of activities with their peers. This environment fosters independence, allowing retirees to maintain their own schedules and make their own decisions about their daily lives.
- Maintenance-free living: Independent living communities often offer maintenance services, eliminating the burden of home upkeep. From lawn care and housekeeping to repairs and maintenance, residents can enjoy a worry-free lifestyle without the responsibilities of homeownership. This frees up more time to focus on pursuing hobbies, interests, and social activities.
- Vibrant social life: Senior independent living communities encourage an active social life by providing opportunities for residents to connect and build meaningful relationships. Common areas, such as dining rooms, fitness centers, libraries, and organized social events, serve as hubs for socialization. This vibrant and friendly atmosphere helps combat loneliness and isolation, promoting a sense of belonging and overall well-being.
- Amenities and services: Independent living communities often offer a wide range of amenities and services tailored to the needs and preferences of older adults. These may include fitness centers, walking trails, transportation services, on-site dining options, housekeeping, and faith-based support. Such amenities promote an active and convenient lifestyle while enhancing comfort and convenience. At the same time, you’ll also have access to on-campus medical care and services if you need them.
- Security and peace of mind: High-quality independent living communities prioritize the safety and security of their residents. These communities are equipped with security protocols and have staff available 24/7 to respond to emergencies. The presence of trained personnel provides peace of mind for both residents and their families, knowing that help is readily available if needed.
Enjoy an Independent Lifestyle With Chapel Pointe
Chapel Pointe is a faith-based continuing care retirement community committed to serving and enhancing the quality of life for people aged 62+ in Central Pennsylvania. We’re honored that our greater community sees the servant-heart of our nonprofit organization and consistently selects Chapel Pointe as “The Best of Cumberland County.” Learn more about our exciting options for independent living. Contact us to learn more about Chapel Pointe and general information about pricing and financing.
Since the beginning, our team's mission has been to ensure that every resident is treated with love and the utmost respect. Experiencing our core values—trust, integrity, faith, service, and innovation—lived out every day at Chapel Pointe reassures seniors that they are making the right decision by welcoming us into their lives.